SBA Certified Small Business Enterprise (#P0669937)
At MCE we offer practical, diverse, structural solutions that will serve our clients' needs for today and tomorrow.
Our staff members have the specialized training and experience in a wide array of structural engineering solutions and materials. We use this knowledge and experience to provide the technical expertise necessary for the services we provide.
Miller Consulting Engineers, Inc. (MCE) was founded in 1978 by Raymond T. Miller in Portland, Oregon. For over 35 years we have focused on designing practical, diverse, structural solutions that will serve our clients' needs for today and tomorrow. MCE's reputation for providing innovative, practical, and timely solutions has grown throughout the Western United States.
When our firm started, the world of modern structural engineering was quite different than it is today. The tools of the trade were limited to a drafting table, a slide rule, or perhaps a simple calculator, and, of course, experience and training. Although the drafting table and slide rule have been replaced by the CAD program and the spreadsheet, experience and training has been a fundamental key to our success.
Today, we have new tools such as Building Information Modeling (BIM), Finite Element Modeling, and structural frame analysis that provide rapid design for more complicated structures. We have a greater understanding of the principles of building performance, and much more stringent code requirements to contend with.
With these tools, the value continues to be from our highly trained staff and experience. The experience and training of our engineers remains a core value; as important today as it was over 30 years ago.
Our commitment and dedication to continued professional education gives our staff a relevant and up-to-date understanding of today's design requirements providing our clients with the best solutions available.
The founder of our firm, Ray Miller, retired in 2004 and spends much of his time giving back to the community through the Masonry Society and other engineering related non-profit organizations.
Daimler Parking Garage
- 2017 Oregon Chapter of American Concrete Institute Excellence in Concrete-Parking
- 2016 Excellence in Structural Engineering Award New Building Over $10 Million
The Seismic Upgrade of Spencer Court
- 2015 Excellence in Structural Engineering Award Renovation/Retrofit
- 2011 Dream Design Award Aquatics International
- 2010 Daily Journal of Commerce TopProjects First Place for Private Buildings $15.1-$50 Million
- 2007 Oregon Chapter of American Concrete Institute Excellence in Concrete Award
Old Oregon Hotel Rehabilitation
- 2001 Oregon Chapter of American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence Honor Award
- 2001 Oregon Chapter of American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence Grand Award
- 2002 American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence National Honors Award
Oregon State Capitol Seismic Upgrade - Phase 1
- 1996 Oregon Chapter of American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence Grand Award
- 1996 American Council of Engineering Companies Engineering Excellence National Honors Award